Mobile Business Intelligence [Mobile BI]
Any BI Strategy today is incomplete without a mobile strategy.
Taking decision making outside the corporate walls is now moving
past the three traditional domains of person to person conversations,
email and phone.
According to mobile BI experts, Yellowfin:
- Around 50% of organizations will have Mobile BI by the end of
- Organizations that introduce Mobile BI into their BI system
experience a doubling of usage
- Organizations with Mobile BI can make critical business decisions
six times faster than organizations without a mobile platform
for reporting and analytics
- By 2013, 33% of BI functionality will be consumed via mobile
- 40% of organizations will provide data exclusively for mobile
- 73% of the workforce will be mobile
Mobile BI typically starts at the executive level. The advantage
of this is that executive dashboards are some of the simplest to
present on mobile devices as they have a limited number of KPI and
dont require a lot of drill down layers. Secondly, the user group
is limited, compared to the whole organization.
At this stage, probably the leader in mobile BI is Microstrategy.
More on Microstrategy
There are some core considerations for mobile BI, in particular:
- The device used, and the obvious limitations on screen size
- Daily data must be 100% correct
- The environment in which the information will be used - bright
sunshine, low light
- The speed at which the data will be read
- The context of the data must be retained
- The whole story must be told
One of the interesting benefits I have found for executives in
mobile BI dashboards is that it is often easier to access dashboards
during meetings via the mobile device than it is to log into the
corproate network. Mobile BI is making decision making easier inside
the corporate walls, as well as outside.
Next: The Mobile BI
Back To Top